BLACK PANTHER CAN’T STOP, WON’T STOP…

From gizmodo.com –

Although estimates indicate Black Panther’s historic 5-week run at the top of the US box office ended this weekend with Pacific Rim Uprising taking the top slot, T’Challa claimed another crown in the process. Black Panther has pulled in an estimated $630.9 million as of this weekend so far, pipping 2012’s Avengers to become the highest grossing superhero movie in U.S. history (Not accounting for inflation).

It’s the latest in a string of records the movie has taken since it launched last month, and it’s not just domestically that Black Panther is soaring. Globally the film has now pulled in just over $1.2 billion, and by the end of the weekend is expected to surpass Iron Man 3 to become the third-highest grossing comic book movie worldwide—only surpassed by Avengers and Avengers: Age of Ultron.

Black Panther’s cinematic success means so much more than oodles of cash for Marvel—its loud, proud proof that diverse blockbuster can’t just succeed, but become some of the biggest films in history. Let’s hope an era of diverse, brilliant blockbuster films is just beginning.

Platinum Dunes Producers Update on Current Status of the ‘Friday the 13th’ Franchise

 

by 

That one still hurts every day,” says Andrew Form.

Last March, production was *supposed* to begin on a new reboot of the Friday the 13th franchise from Platinum Dunes, with Breck Eisner (The Crazies) directing a script penned by Aaron Guzikowksi (Prisoners). The Paramount/Platinum Dunes production, of course, was shut down before filming began; we haven’t heard a peep from Jason since.

As most are aware by now, the rights for the Friday franchise are set to revert back to Warner Bros./New Line sometime this year, with a lawsuit from Victor Miller, the original film’s writer, in the works that could prevent even them from bringing Jason back to the big screen anytime soon. Amid all this, Arrow caught up with Platinum Dunes producers Brad Fuller andAndrew Form for a little chat about Friday the 13th, which updates us on the general status of the franchise at this particular point in time.

One of the biggest heartbreaks of the last couple years was that we were about to make that movie and it fell apart. That still hurts,” Fuller admitted. “The fans reach out to us; Andrew doesn’t really engage because he’s not on Twitter, but I am and I hear from the fans and that’s all they ask about. We get asked about that more than anything else.”

He continued, “Fans think it’s so simple, that if we want to make the movie we can go make it, and that’s just not the case. There are rights issues; originally, Warner Bros. owned the rights, then Paramount had them for a couple of years, and now I think the rights are reverting back to Warner Bros. At the same time, there’s this on-going lawsuit with Victor Miller. If there’s a lawsuit hanging over the rights, it’s problematic, you can’t really make the movie until that gets settled. And now the movie is at New Line, and we’ve made a lot of movies with those guys, but that’s not our home studio anymore.

So the question is, [does New Line] want to make the movie with us? If they want to make that movie with us, we will drop what we’re doing to make that movie. We had such a great experience making Friday the 13th, it was a dream come true to watch those movies as a kid and then be a part of it. So I don’t really have a clear answer.”

Form, meanwhile, offered only sadness about the death of the Guzikowski/Eisner iteration of Dunes’ Friday the 13th reboot that came so close to happening. “That one still hurts every day,” he told the site “We were a couple of weeks from filming on that one, Guzikowski wrote an unbelievable script, we found the camp… That one still hurts.”

For now, Jason Voorhees remains dead at the bottom of Crystal Lake.